Thursday, April 8, 2010

Farewell, Old Friend

My doggy died. He's gone. He was hit by a truck while I watched helplessly and ran to him in time to feel his heart beat its last. Oh, Aries, how much I loved you! I'm so devastated, yet I have hope and joy even in sorrow.
You know, when something like this happens, you always think "there's something I could have done, if only I did this, if only, if only this that and the other thing... God, you could have done this or that..." I understand that's called the "bargaining" phase of grief. But I take comfort in knowing that it is part of God's plan.

Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them.
How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. When I awake, I am still with You.
Psalm 139:16-18
If God has ordained every day for me, I'm going to extrapolate that He has ordained every day for every living creature. So I am not responsible, there is nothing I could do; it was written in His book. This makes it much easier to let go. And His plans for me are good!


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28
I thank God that He has great plans for me, and I hold fast to His promises and His lovingkindness. I know that He feels my pain and weeps with me, as He wept with Mary and Martha for Lazarus. I don't know why He took my doggy away, but I trust Him. I like to think that I will see him again someday. I don't know if that's true or not; I don't think the Bible really tells us. But I do know that there will be animals in the new Earth, and certainly it does no harm to believe that my Aries will be one of them.

I got Aries ten years ago in November 1999; he was born Sept. 22 1999. As a puppy, he was a hellion! He nipped and ran away and just generally drove me mad. Of course, as all puppies do, he grew up and mellowed out. He became a most wonderful companion, my dear friend, always beside me. He loved me so well. He came to answer to Stupid, Fifi and buddy; he learned to shake, beg, stand, sit, lie down, roll over. He didn't like to swim, much preferring to wade. He loved to hump his cushion and drag it around, growling and being goofy. He would roll around on his back on the carpet with much growling, and other amusing habits like sleeping sprawled on his back. Usually he was pretty laid back, but sometimes he would get in a rambunctious mood and run around like a fool. My Aries! I love you so much, I miss you, I wish you weren't gone. Goodbye, my sweet puppy. If God is willing, I will see you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful picture of him!!!but I can't stop the tears when looking at him.....or reading about him....I feel your pain, my love, added to my own. Was a wonderful dog......
    And now I have to go shopping and my face is all blotchy from crying!!!
    Love you.......mom

    ReplyDelete